Skip Navigation
SafeOregon - School Safety Tip Line
November 24, 2020

Letters from Mr. Thielman

November 15, 2020

November 11, 2020

Dear Parents and Community,

This is an official notice:

The Alsea Charter School will be closed for in-building instruction tomorrow, November 12, due to an employee’s spouse testing positive for Covid-19.

The affected employee DOES NOT have direct contact with students as part of their workday. Out of an abundance of caution we will disinfect the building prior to people being allowed back in, which we anticipate will be Monday. In-building students are not expected to attend class virtually tomorrow.

We are working closely with Benton County Health Department and engaged in contact tracing. We will be reaching out directly to anyone we suspect had sustained contact [within six feet for more than 15 minutes] of said employee. At this time, we consider the risk to students and instruction staff to be extremely low. Greenways and Learn at Home Oregon Students will attend class as normally scheduled.

Consistent with our Ready Safe Schools Protocol, all extra-curricular activities and practices are cancelled until Monday.

We know this is potentially a scary situation for students, families, and staff, but please know that we are confident in our safety and mitigation measures.  Tomorrow’s closure call is being made “out an abundance of caution,” and it will help us do all we can to limit the spread of COVID 19 in our school and the communities that we serve.

I apologize for any inconvenience this single day closure will cause for our amazing families, and I wish to thank you all in advance for your support, care and grace during these wild “2020” times.

Related to this notice, I wish to express my deep appreciation for the effective collaboration and follow through by the Benton County COVID Team at the Benton County Health Department!  They have been very supportive and effective partners to the Alsea School District every step of the way in this process, and they too seem confident in our safety protocols and plan.  I can’t thank them enough for helping us to develop what has become a model for all schools/districts to follow as they begin their own reopenings.

We will be sending out updates prior to Monday’s reopening if anything changes.  If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to call me at 509-220-5313 or email me at marc.thielman@alsea.k12.or.us.

Reaching out and connecting directly is often the best treatment for worry and concern, so please take me up on my invitation to call me directly.  We have a great school, a great community, awesome students, and amazing families!  Go Wolverines!

Sincerely,

Marc Thielman

Alsea Superintendent/K-12 Principal

541-487-4305 Ext. 201