Skip Navigation
SafeOregon - School Safety Tip Line
January 19, 2021

Letters from Mr. Thielman 01.12.21

January 12, 2021

January 12, 2021

Dear Parents and Community,

As some of you may be aware, we were informed this evening that two students tested positive for COVID this afternoon.  The source of these cases has been traced to be OUTSIDE of the school and is considered to be HOUSEHOLD Spread, as the two are siblings.

The following is a list of pertinent information regarding this situation and the actions I am taking out of an “abundance of caution.”

1)  Based upon the onset of symptoms over the weekend and the epidemiology of COVID 19 the risk of spread to other students in staff in their respective cohorts is determined to be LOW.

2)The affected students were deemed contagious on Friday, but they were in attendance on Thursday and had no symptoms.

3) The students attend 2nd and 6th grades.

4) 2nd and 3rd grade cohorts share recess time each school day while sixth grade does not blend with other cohorts.

5) ACTION PLAN: Even though the risk of spread has been determined to be LOW, I am directing that 2nd, 3rd, and 6th Grade cohorts spend the remaining two school days this week on CDL.  This will allow time for any potential exposure, if any, to manifest.

6) Testing of the entire cohort is NOT being required or recommended, but if you have any concern please contact your primary care provider to inquire about testing.

7) If you or your child manifest symptoms, specifically, a fever over 100.4, loss of taste/smell, etc. then testing is recommended.

8)  What if I have other students in my household that are not in the above listed cohorts?  Should I quarantine them along with their sibling(s)?

Answer:  There is no wrong option in this scenario, but the unaffected sibling can attend school as long as they are symptom free.  As a school, we will support any decisions our parents make about how best to maneuver this COVID Crazy time.

I wish to apologize for any inconvenience these actions may cause, and to thank you for trusting us with your student(s).  I also want to thank the hardworking Healthcare Workers in Benton County for assisting us at all hours, so we can make the best and most balanced decisions possible regarding COVID.  We will send out more information as it develops.  Please feel free to call/text me at 509-220-5313 if you have any questions or email me at: marc.thielman@alsea.k12.or.us.

Go Wolverines!!!

Sincerely,

Marc Thielman

Alsea Superintendent/K-12 Principal

541-487-4305 Ext. 201