Skip Navigation
SafeOregon - School Safety Tip Line

Covid Update 9/28/2021 – Letters from Mr. Thielman

September 28, 2021

Dear Alsea Parents and Community,

I am sending out this mid week update to notify everyone that as of this morning we have two staff members and two students who have been confirmed positive for COVID.  One of the staff members had limited contact with students, and has not been at work since last Thursday, and the other staff member and her child have been in isolation for the past 7 days and not in the building.  This brings us to the final student case that was identified during the first ten minutes of the first period, in which our amazing staff sent the child down for a rapid test, out of an abundance of caution.  This student was vaccinated and masked, but “sounded stuffy” so we gave them a rapid test, which was positive.  The student was isolated and picked up by their parents to begin the quarantine period.

Contact Tracing:  To the best of our knowledge, ALL of these cases have been sourced outside of the school, in which family gatherings, sleepovers, and other social gatherings appear to have contributed to the spread.  As per OHA recommendations, a school that has two or more positive cases within a week is considered to be experiencing an “outbreak,” and I wanted to get this notice out to all parents/community members ASAP, as well as remind everyone to act with COVID in mind as we move forward over the coming weeks.  I realize that we are all experiencing COVID fatigue, but I want to encourage everyone to keep up the vigilance as statewide data indicates that Delta Covid is on the wane.  This is great news, but as we are seeing, on the wane does not mean off the table.

In closing, I must say that I am very proud of all of our Parents/staff for the care, concern, and support you have all shown during this ongoing pandemic.  It is a testimony to the strength of our school community as It takes all of us working together to keep everyone safe and affected students, staff, and families supported.  None of this is easy, but it is easier together.  Please feel free to email me directly at marc.thielman@alsea.k12.or.us, or text me on my cell at 509-220-5313 if you have questions or concerns.  We are here to support! Go Wolverines!!!

Sincerely,

Marc Thielman
Alsea Superintendent/K-12 Principal
541-487-4305 Ext. 201